Start-up = Fun
Start-ups are about doing and trying things differently. Whether a start-up meets success or failure, the journey is always rewarding. From a new idea to getting funded to product execution to revenues, challenges come naturally. With each stage comes immense real-experience which no colleges teach. Today, the best talent in industry is choosing start-ups over big companies, below are some of the reasons based on my experience.
- Learning: Products are built from scratch. You get a dive into newer ideas and latest technologies. You are a part of big technology discussions, direct customer feedback.
- Affiliation: Getting hired for a start-up is a reward in itself. Start-ups look for above average people only. CV value goes up.
- Wear multiple hats: Work on multiple technologies, varied products. You will be responsible for more than two tasks
- No processes: Processes are minimal, prime focus is on productivity.
- Flat structure: There is really no hierarchy. Many start-ups even let people choose their own designations. There is really no meaning of promotions.
- Decision Making: You are a part of big decisions, what path the product follows and why.
- Realize your true potential: You can be as aggressive as you want. Challenging work is always there to grab. Enjoy sitting for long hours, realize your strengths and weaknesses.
- Visible impact: Each short term goal is a building block in a long term goal. Every milestone counts.
- Friends with CEO/CTO: Learn from the experiences of Gurus.
- Become a Guru: With time, you become a specialist of a module, technology. People know you are the person to look forward to. Write a blog around that technology!
- Job Satisfaction: You treat your project as your own baby.
- Positive Energy: You are always surrounded by self-motivated people. Energy level of group is always high.
- Offensive Play: You face real problems head-on. You try to create a product which earns revenues. Big companies play defensive, to continue with sales targets of the products.
- No manager: Management bandwidth is scarcest resource. Founder members also do the ground-work.
- No politics: Information flow is transparent.
- No dummy-appraisals: Only open-door discussions.
- Wear shorts/pyjamas: Formals are not mandatory unless your wife asks you to wear them.
- Make friends not peers: Get to know everybody personally. Long term friends, with stories to tell.
- Your style: Everybody knows what kind of tea/coffee you prefer.
- Fun: Enjoy movie/cricket match during office hours
- Vacations: Work on weekends, enjoy long block vacations
- Equity Participation: As the company grows, equity value grows in multiples of 10s, 100s.
- Salary: Salary is not based on the age/experience, but on merit.
- Benefits: There are many benefits/schemes/goodies from time to time.